I was tempted to experiment with agave and other sweeteners with this recipe, but then I wouldn't be able to call them sugar cookies!
My husband likes these better than the "real" sugar cookies (with white flour).
1 c butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs (or 1/4 c applesauce)
1 t vanilla
3 c whole grain flour (I used a mixture of spelt, barley, and brown rice)
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and blend well. Add vanilla and blend.
Slowly add dry ingredients (sift together first if you want) to the mixture. Chill dough for 1 hour.
Roll dough about 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
Frosting:
5 c powdered sugar
1/2 c evaporated milk
1/4 c margarine
3/4 c shortening
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
Beat well. Makes enough frosting for 2-3 batches of cookies. Add 1/2 c cocoa for chocolate frosting.
No comments:
Post a Comment